Who is going to make money off the IAAF championships? Who will pay?

I’m at the Eugene City Council work meeting now, listening to Stephanie Scafa, the city’s 2021 project lead, present a puff piece to the council. Flashy video and handouts. She says “there’s a lot to be excited about”. It’s about “what sort of community we want to be”. “An opportunity to experience the world right here.”

This is the sort of thing I’d expect an Oregon21 PR flack to present – not a city paid employee. I hope she gets some tough questions about what it’s going to cost and who is going to pay.

Syrett: What is the financial contribution – particularly police? [Say, is this why the Council voted for a new police tax? Also asks about new AirBNB regulations – presumably this will include another tax so the city can get their cut.]

Semple: Seems skeptical of the link to the arts that excites Syrett. Wants to know how we can house 50,000 fans, but not our homeless.

Clark: How can we use this opportunity to solve some long-term community need? [My A: We can’t. Read up on the public impact of every Olympics ever held. Instead we’ll waste money on it that we could spend on those other needs. But hey – we’re getting more murals!]

Selenka: Can we at least get another Portland train out of it? Scafa: No. We’ll have shuttles. [Uber?]

Other Planner: UO is creating “An Olympic style athletic village for this. [That’s explains why we’re building new dorms, when enrollment is flat. Will the students pay, or will Pres Schill squeeze Oregon 21?]

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Who is going to make money off the IAAF championships? Who will pay?

1. thedude says:

I am when I Airbnb my house.

2. Darby says:

You Wrote:

OH MY GOD!

I’ve been wondering about why there were building all those dorms and others building new “student housing”. My partner and I were just pondering that very question while driving down Franklin Blvd the other day.

Supporting the Phoolish Phil’s Phallus Palace and associated egos. I see.

At least they are laying off people, union “offers” are insults, gouging the museum and LERC, killing a very successful recycling program, and giving raises to the Upper Mucky-Mucks and coaches. Oh, yeah, and the many millions being spend on Autzen Stadiums new sound system.

Sound a little angry? “Little” doesn’t cover it.

3. honest Uncle Bernie says:

Driving north on Agate this morning, the thought occurred to me that the thing rising over the new track field looks like a prison tower.

Maybe when the concrete is covered over, this thought will leave.

• Dog says:

Personally, I suspect that soon, non-compliant faculty like me will
      be hung on yardarms that protrude from the structure as an example to all of individuals that are not marching to the current Schill drum beat – less aggressive faculty resistors will simply be imprisoned within ….

4. Anonymous says:

I believe the plan is to hang recalcitrant faculty in cages suspended from the top of the ‘schlong’. I understand that many in Johson Hall like the story from the university town of Muenster in Germany and view the solution as a model.

• Darby says:

Well, all this dangling of naughty faculty will have to be done by contracted out labor – between the choice to not fill empty positions and lay offs in CPFM, there won’t be anyone left who does maintenance and related work.

Hm. Perhaps rather than dangling naughty faculty, they could be repurposed to do the custodial and maintenance work required of the new buildings (and the Ice Cube, ‘natch).