Dear UO Community,
Following is an announcement about the presidential search committee that will be released to the media later today. I wanted to share the information with you first.
Chancellor, Oregon University System
February 1, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Di Saunders, Office: 503-725-5714; Cell: 971-219-6869
Chancellor Announces Search Committee for University of Oregon President
PORTLAND, February 1, 2012 – George Pernsteiner, chancellor of the Oregon University System (OUS), today announced the Search Committee for the next president of the University of Oregon (UO). The new president will replace interim president Robert Berdahl, who began in this role in late December.
The Search Committee will be chaired by State Board of Higher Education member Allyn Ford of Roseburg, and he will be assisted by Dr. Sona Karentz Andrews, vice chancellor of Academic Strategies for the OUS, and Tim Black, UO assistant vice president, Office of the President.
Search Committee members will include the following representatives from UO’s many constituent groups, including:
[edited by group]
- Miriam Abelson, UO graduate student in Women’s and Gender Studies;
- Maneesh Arora, UO undergraduate student in Environmental Studies;
- Ben Eckstein, undergraduate student in Planning and Public Policy Management, and president of Associated Students of the UO;
- Miriam Bolton, UO executive assistant, Lundquist College of Business;
- Eric Clark, UO libraries’ student coordinator and assistant to unit manager;
- Frances Bronet, UO dean, School of Architecture & Allied Arts;
- Robin Holmes, UO vice president for Student Affairs;
- Allyn Ford, search chair, and president of Roseburg Forest Products;
- Dan Giustina, managing partner, Giustina Resources;
- Gregg Kantor, CEO, Northwest Natural Gas Company;
- Anne Marie Levis, president, UO Alumni Association, and president & creative director, Funk/Levis & Associates;
- Ed Maletis, UO Foundation member;
- Gwen Lillis, chair, The Lillis Foundation;
- Preston Pulliams, president, Portland Community College;
- Mary Spilde, president, Lane Community College.
- Michael Hames-Garcia, UO professor of Ethnic Studies;
- Robert Kyr, Phillip H. Knight professor, UO School of Music and Dance;
- Alec Murphy, UO professor of Geography;
- Margie Paris, UO professor of Law;
- Geraldine Richmond, UO professor of Chemistry;
- Kim Sheehan, professor of Journalism;
The Committee will begin its search process for a new president immediately, working with a national search firm which was selected through an open RFP process. Search chair Allyn Ford noted that the target for the selection of the new president of UO by the State Board of Higher Education is this summer. The chancellor and Allyn Ford are continuing to meet with members of the UO community, faculty, and students to identify the qualities, qualifications and characteristics needed in the next president.
Allyn Ford said, “My thanks go out to this Committee, which is representative of the many strengths and perspectives of the UO community, as well as those of the state of Oregon. We appreciate the Committee’s willingness to work collectively on this critically important work. We are excited about beginning the search process, and are committed to moving through an accelerated schedule, but one that does not compromise quality, so that we can have the University’s next president appointed this summer and ready to lead the institution this coming fall. The University of Oregon’s next president will be both an institutional and a state leader in higher education, so the work of identifying candidates is one that has important ramifications for all of Oregon.”