Comments may be deleted if your h-index is less than 20. Please use a screen name.
- Duck's Eric Roedl & UOPD... (2)
- Graduation metrics: Are students "product"... (11)
- Heraclitus Why? – Wednesday
- Sorry you are sad, but the question asks whether young humans are mere products or mere consumers. Doesn't take much... – Wednesday
- Thick duck skin I'm offended by easily offendable people. – Wednesday
- justsayuotoducks I'm a bit sad that people can find a way to be offended by this question. – Wednesday
- The routine and daily interactions are of course all over the map as far as their substance and ethical entanglements,... – Tuesday
- Conservative duck Consumers, and that's nothing to be ashamed of. We all consume, daily. Air, water, food, language, ideas, memes, culture, etc.... – Tuesday
- Hippie! – Tuesday
- Anas Clypeata OK, you're an economist. Call me a hippie, I guess, but I do this work for love, and from love. – Tuesday
- Hayward teardown vigil starts Tu... (1)
- EGS UOMatters, how is facilities maintenance funded? The UO will be on the hook for the maintenance of this thing in... – Tuesday
- New CONCUR travel software: (2)
- Coach Lananna orders Duck cops... (5)
- HonestNauman Per Eugene Weekly, volunteer claims “It sounded like he said something like,"‘Get that guy.’” But the very next sentence states... – Saturday
- dog "sound public process" another oxymoron of the times – Friday
- Environmental necessity I was at the same meet and near Tim Lewis until he began his protest, something that I knew nothing... – Friday
- HonestNauman I was there, sitting less than 10m from the finish line area where Lananna typically stands during events (as he... – Friday
- Gerald Macguire Tim should have known that as soon as he set foot on that track, he became an athlete at UO... – Friday
- University drop metrics requirement (2)
- justsayuotoducks Replacing test scores with "video introductions"? The jokes practically write themselves. (Sample: I like my freshmen like I like my... – Friday
- Negative Nelly Meritocracy is discriminating. Discretion is hate, not wisdom, old timer. Boomers these days! So entitled to their pensions! – Friday
- Pres Schill on 17-18 events (8)
- Anonymousbecauseihavetobe uomatters - are you repeating me in agreement or mocking? – Thursday
- uomatters It's all in the notation. – Thursday
- Dog How did you know? that was the exact answer to my first question on my final exam: What international economic... – Thursday
- uomatters Blah blah blah, zzzzz, blah blah blah – Wednesday
- uomatters Congratulations for the most romantic comment of the month. – Wednesday
- Anonymousbecauseihavetobe Blah blah blah, zzzzz, blah blah blah. Meanwhile, the corporate university continues to suck $ from the students, build outrageous,... – Wednesday
- justsayuotoducks Do long-timers really feel like he's not doing a reasonable job? Seems to me that he has two real priorities:... – Wednesday
- Leporillo Forgot all about Hayward Field....must have slipped his mind. – Wednesday
- UO to cut down 23... (17)
- City gives OK for demolishing... (18)
- Ducks make bigly claim for... (8)
- Inquiring Minds There may be a simple answer here -- the difference between a snapshot in time (butts in seats for an... – Monday
- justsayuotoducks Thanks! – Sunday
- uomatters I thought they'd been posted at https://senate.uoregon.edu/elections-2/, but apparently not. I'll make sure they are up Monday. – Sunday
- justsayuotoducks Am I bad person if I simply don't care about this at all? Instead, I'd love to know whatever happened... – Sunday
- Anonymous It to mention the invisible minions running concessions, cleaning, etc etc etc – Saturday
- June 7-8 Board of Trustees... (6)
- Older »
- Duck's Eric Roedl & UOPD Chief Carmichael want more drinking time for Duck tailgaters - https://t.co/GJjHcna76K, 19 hours ago
- RT @JeffmanningOre: ICYMI: Phenomenal reporting here from Gordon Friedman on Oregon's experiment in preemptive gun control. https://t.co/x3UIoFNovU, Jun 19
- RT @hsu_steve: Harvard admissions evaluators -- staffers who are likely under pressure to deliver a target mix of ethnicities -- r… https://t.co/Cvx4W4Swoh, Jun 17
- RT @Tobin_Tweets: Here's a database I put together of the last five years of UO public records requests. I hope this is useful, enjoy… https://t.co/RfP3SbLMWE, Jun 15
- RT @sheldongilbert: Remarkable: Harvard's own internal investigations show the school routinely and significantly discriminated in favo… https://t.co/W21lautPkb, Jun 15
TagsAAUP-AFT Union? Academic Freedom administrative bloat Athletics athletics subsidy Beangrams Dave Frohnmayer: UO President Dave Hubin Diversity Faculty pay Faculty Union (United Academics of UO) free speech Jamie Moffitt Jim Bean: UO Provost Jim O'Fallon jock box Lariviere Firing Lorraine Davis March 8-9 rape allegations Melinda Grier Michael Gottfredson NCAA NCAA violations new partnership plan off topic OUS Board and Chancellor Pernsteiner PERS Public Records Public Safety Randy Geller General Counsel Research money Richard Lariviere: UO President Robert Berdahl Rob Mullens Scott Coltrane Senate Sharon Rudnick Tim Gleason Track and Field Championships Uncategorized UO Foundation UO Presidential Archives UO restructuring plan UO Trustees
- Duck’s Eric Roedl & UOPD Chief Carmichael want more drinking time for Duck tailgaters 06/20/2018
- Hayward teardown vigil starts Tu at 2PM, DOJ still vetting Lananna deal 06/18/2018
- Graduation metrics: Are students “product” or “consumers”? 06/18/2018
- Coach Lananna orders Duck cops to bust tifoso for Hayward free speech lap 06/15/2018
- University drop metrics requirement 06/14/2018
- New CONCUR travel software: 06/14/2018
- Pres Schill on 17-18 events 06/13/2018
- Ducks make bigly claim for NCAA Track & Field attendance 06/07/2018
- Eugene Weekly searches for the man behind “Slusher’s Schlong” 06/07/2018
- June 7-8 Board of Trustees meetings reveal decline in excellence metrics 06/07/2018
- Senate votes unanimously for Elizabeth Skowron as VP/President elect 06/06/2018
- Faculty Club to celebrate Women in Science & NTTFs 06/06/2018
- Oregon State faculty vote to unionize 06/05/2018
- HR Director Nancy Resnick leaves for UCSD, UO will hold open search for replacement 06/05/2018
- CAS Dean Andrew Marcus gets creative about how Stabile got “imagineer” job 06/04/2018
- City gives OK for demolishing soon to be former Historic Hayward Field 06/03/2018
- Debate demonstrates UO diversity 05/31/2018
- Hayward Field teardown public info meeting Th May 31st at 7PM, Agate Hall 05/30/2018
- Daily Emerald’s Miles Trinidad calls out UO for hypocrisy on athletes’ free speech 05/29/2018
- Press and profs fire President, as Trustees dithered & kept Senate in dark 05/29/2018
7/29/2013: Busy summer:
7/11 Governance & Policy Committee, Cancelled 7/11 Finance & Administration Committee, Cancelled 7/11 Academic Strategies Committee, Cancelled 7/12 Special Full Board meeting, 8-9a 7/12 Executive Session, 8a-3p 7/19 Full Board Meeting (telephonic), 9:30-11:30a 8/1 Finance & Administration Committee, 1-3p, Cancelled 8/1 Academic Strategies Committee, Cancelled 8/1 Executive Session of the Finance & Administration Committee, 5-6p,Cancelled 8/2 Executive Session, 7a-3p
But what’s that 8/2 executive session about?
7/16/2013: Nigel Jaquiss and Alex Blum have the scoop in WWeek, based on public records requests, including Crew’s official calendar:
Records obtained by WW under the state’s public records law suggest the governor and the Oregon Education Investment Board left Crew unsupervised in his high-profile job. He spent much of his tenure jetting to conferences and private speaking engagements in faraway locales such as Alaska and the Bahamas, often flying first class.
Similar story from Betsy Hammond in the Oregonian, here. Small change compared to what Matt Donegan let Pernsteiner get away with. The croissants were the least of it – he even hit up the students for his mortgage payments, $26K a year. Plus car, maid service, etc. Speaking of Pernsteiner, I wonder what Treetops cost us last year? Lets find out:
From: UO Matters
Subject: Treetops records
Date: July 15, 2013 8:04:33 AM PDT
To: Charles Triplett
Dear Mr. Triplett, this is a public records request for
a) any documents showing expenses for the maintenance or operation of Treetops, including but not limited to landscaping and maid service, from 1/1/2012 to the present, and
b) any documents since 1/1/2013 showing plans for use of Treetops, now that Mr. Pernsteiner has left the building.
6/27/2013: Just 4 days before his eviction from Treetops, former OUS Chancellor Dr. George Pernsteiner has landed a job as president of the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association. No word on whether or not his former chief of staff Bridget Burns will follow him to their offices in Boulder. Who knows what pot of public money funds this non-profit, but they pull in $3.5 million a year, and his predecessor’s take was 300 large. The good news is this means Oregon student tuition won’t have to cover the year of severance Matt Donegan had promised him. Thanks to anon for the tip!
5/23/2013: An anonymous source in the Provost’s office sends this memo about Gottfredson’s investiture ceremony:
Memo: Investiture Contingency Planning
From: Provost Jim Bean
To: President Mike Gottfredson
Mike, I’m starting to worry about faculty turnout for your Knight Arena Investiture Ceremony next Thursday. I’ve warned the department heads that we’ll be taking attendance, but they don’t seem to care anymore, even when I dropped a hint that those 2% merit raises you put on the table might be at risk. It’s a big hall, and we need enough appropriately garbed faculty types in the audience to keep this from turning into another embarrassment for you.
President Lariviere had a huge faculty turnout for his investiture, in no small part because he’d just fired a widely despised General Counsel, and an Athletic Director who was burning through the academic side’s money like, well, like it was the academic side’s money. Something to think about. But if you’re not quite there yet I hope you’ll be happy with the ELT’s plan B:
VPAA Doug Blandy will grant all Duck student-athletes PhD’s and adjunct faculty status. They just need to pass a simple online exam he wrote. The Jock Box advisors say they can help out as usual, since it’s not even proctored. Mullens has cleared this with FAR Jim O’Fallon, who says that adjunct status won’t affect their NCAA eligibility so long as we don’t pay them. As if! (Say, this gives me a great idea for if the faculty go on strike.)
I got a deal on academic regalia from “Parties R Us”. The media will want a few full-professor greybeard types to focus on. I’ve lined up Frog, the guy who sells joke books on 13th – you’ve seen him, looks just like a biology professor. And then there’s the guy who bikes around campus yelling “Go Ducks, but LTD can kiss my sweaty nut-sack.” Turns out you were wrong about him being CAS Dean Scott Coltrane, but no one will know the difference. Best to keep him away from the mic though.
Dave Hubin tells me you’ve signed off on the heartfelt extemporaneous comments that Ann Wiens and the Gallatin Public Affairs consultants wrote. It took me a while to find a professor willing to deliver these. Tublitz is in Italy, and while Harbaugh was plenty interested after I brought up the stipend, it’s hard to hear him when he’s sober. In the end Frank Stahl agreed to do it. I think you’ve met him, very distinguished and his voice carries well.
Oh, one last thing – I’m afraid I won’t be able to make the ceremony. The Caddis fly hatch is peaking, and I’ve got a fishing date with John Moseley over at the lodge in Bend.
Good luck though, really.
5/25/2013: From Laura Gunderson in the Oregonian, promoting Donegan’s political ambitions. She pitches his steely stand against the UO faculty and boosters at the Lariviere firing meeting as a plus. Doesn’t mention the public meetings law violations or the secret bathroom caucus where he rallied the board to stand firm behind Pernsteiner. Does get into some rather personal divorce stuff at the end.
1/28/2013: Pernsteiner’s buy out deal is here, courtesy of OUS Board Secretary Charles Triplett – no fee this time, though it’s going to cost the students plenty:
Word from the recently dedicated Lariviere Smoking Lounge down at the UO faculty club is that the state Audits Division may be looking into how Pernsteiner has been accounting for some of those past “professional development expenses”.
1/27/2013: The OUS board meeting on his golden parachute is 10AM Monday, live-streaming here. But rumor around the faculty club snookers table is that Paul Kelly and Matt Donegan are going to do the deal in the men’s room, as usual. Here’s their last effort. Charles Triplett refused to post the video on the OUS minutes website – but UO put it on youtube:
From Diane Dietz in the RG on the proposed bill. Read it all, if just for the insulting Matt Donegan quotes. 10/5/2012.