June 16, 2015
Executive Leadership Team (ELT)
Academic Leadership Team (ALT)
President’s Office Staff
Johnson Hall Staff
Interim President Scott Coltrane
Incoming President Michael Schill
RE: Reporting Lines and Organizational Structure
Colleagues, As you are all aware, this is a truly transformational time for the University of Oregon.
We have completed a very successful — albeit challenging — year and we are a stronger institution for it.
As we prepare for the upcoming transition in the president’s office, we are taking steps to modify the organizational structure in ways that we hope will prove highly beneficial as we move rapidly forward towards meeting our collective goals.
Some of the changes are designed to streamline reporting relationships and make us more nimble, while others will help sharpen our focus. Unless otherwise noted, all changes will be effective on July 1.
First, the vice presidents for enrollment management, equity and inclusion and student life will begin a direct reporting relationship to the president.
The vice president for research and innovation will continue to report to the provost.
Greg Stripp will serve as the chief of staff and senior advisor to the president.
Greg Rikhoff will continue as assistant vice president and will become interim senior assistant to the provost. He will provide leadership on critical issues during the administrative transition and help with the coordination of multiple dean searches.
As we look to better direct resources during this transition period, a number of other changes will take place:
• Nancy Fish will serve as projects manager in the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, reporting to Brooke Freed, interim director of operations and chief of staff. Nancy’s administrative experience at the UO will be utilized to help with transition projects related to the academic portfolio, including searches for key academic leadership positions;
• Dave Hubin will transition from the Office of the President into the Office of Academic Affairs where he will be able to focus his expertise and work on accreditation matters, including a new mission fulfillment demonstration project in which we are engaged with the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities;
• Michelle Jones, McMorran House coordinator, will begin reporting to Kelley Kline, McMorran House events manager, in the Office of Stewardship and Public Events;
• Chuck Triplett, assistant vice president for university initiatives and collaboration, will have dual reporting to the president and the provost, and will be housed in the Office of Senior Vice President and Provost;
• Betina Lynn, executive coordinator for the university senate and statutory faculty in the Office of the President, will report to Triplett;
• Marilyn Skalberg, will transition from a web and project coordinator position in the president’s office to become initiatives and collaboration manager in the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, and will also report to Triplett; and
• The Office of Public Records will transfer from the Office of the President to the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel when the now advertised position is filled. Lisa Thornton, public records officer, will report to the president’s chief of staff in the meantime.
We look forward to working side-by-side with each of you as we usher in a new era of excellence at the University of Oregon.