A reader asks:
… perhaps it is time for this website to focus less on issues we cannot change and more on those we can. Here’s a few to start:
1) Lack of long term academic vision by the administration;
2) Administrative refusal to include faculty as partners in decisions;
3) Too many mediocre, selfish, power-hungry (and sometimes vindictive) administrators at all academic levels;
4) Students treated as commodities and/or clients;
5) Non-existent campus planning;
6) Knight campus sucking energy and funds from rest of campus;
7) Intercollegiate sports still more important than academics;
8) Disdain shown for academic units without significant extramural funding opportunities;
9) Continued disrespect by administration and some faculty towards OAs and Classified staff;
10) Senate has become completely useless;
11) Too much focus on rich students, often out of state or foreigners; and,
12) UO academic standing in national and international rankings continues to be depressingly low.
I will admit to not have worked as hard as I could to make things better here. I have tried however to improve a few of the above issues. What is apparent up and down campus and particularly on this website, is the overwhelming depression and hopelessness over the current academic situation. Although frustration often leads to complaining and snark, the reality is that this campus won’t improve without discussion of and solutions to the above. This website, for all its numerous faults, should be leading the way forward. Right now, it is part of the problem.