Update: While I am not sure the AR-15’s, Tazers, ducked-up trucks are an improvement, Chief Matt Carmichael has done an enormous amount to improve the UOPD. And he’s somehow done it without spending any new UO money, so far:
4:25PM It’s taking him quite a while to get around to it, but I think Chief Carmichael will eventually announce that UOPD has already or will soon introduce new weapons to campus: Tazers and semi-automatic rifles.
4:35PM UOPD will introduce Tazers, arguing they are an alternative to police having to shoot people. UOPD will also have body cameras, activated by Tazer activation.
4:37PM UOPD will also introduce “patrol rifles” with high capacity clips and ammo that can penetrate body armor. These will be kept locked in gun safes in the patrol cars.
4:41PM UOPD and Duck Athletics will get a bomb-sniffing dog, and hire a handler.
3:00 P.M. Call to Order
- Introductory Remarks; Senate President Chris Sinclair
- Remarks: Invited Students
- Remarks: Provost Banavar
3:30 P.M. Approval of Minutes, October 4, 2017
3:30 P.M. Business/Reports
- Business: HECC; Frances White (Anthropology), Chair of Academic Council
- Business: Responsible Reporting; Darci Heroy (Title IX Coord.) & Missy Matella (General Counsel’s Office)
- US17/18-01: Affirmation of the Responsibilities of Faculty Regarding Curriculum; Rob Kyr (Music), President of IFS
- Business: Academic Freedom, Bill Harbaugh (Economics), Senate VP
- Report: Update from Chief Carmichael (UOPD Chief) and the UOPD Student Assistants
- Business: Senate Procedures
4:50 P.M. Open Discussion
4:50 P.M. Reports
4:50 P.M. Notice(s) of Motion
4:50 P.M. Other Business
5:00 P.M. Adjourn