11/27/2011: Or maybe the headline should read:
“Chancellor Pernsteiner loots Oregon student’s budgets to pay for his mansions, maids and croissants”
Sam Stites of the ODE has the scoop on the former interpretation, with some Aaron Marineau photos of the perpetrators fleeing the well manicured, spacious grounds of Treetops, OUS Chancellor Pernsteiner’s state owned and maintained 9,200 sq ft mansion. I swear the guy on the left is Frank Stahl. UO Matters deplores all senseless acts of vandalism, and this one is particularly senseless, since Pernsteiner’s money and the Treetops costs all come from student tuition and taxes. Guess who will pay. Here are a few other interesting Pernsteiner facts, in case you need something truly scandalous and corrupt to deplore:
- He was hired in 2004 by Neil Goldschmidt as an interim appointment, then made permanent after the molestation story broke and everyone was too busy to go through a public search process.
- He does not have a PhD – unique for a university Chancellor.
- He is paid $280,900 in straight salary – while OUS staff get furloughs.
- He gets another $23,320 for “professional development expenses.” He does not document how he spends this, despite state audit rules – he just takes it as a cash salary add-on.
- He gets a free car with all costs paid.
- He gets a $12,720 retirement add-on, to top off his regular PERS account.
- He gets an all expenses paid mansion in Eugene, Treetops, which he uses about 4 nights a month, at a cost to the state of over $50,000 a year. Landscaping is $1300 a month.
- To fight a voter fraud investigation his lawyer claimed he lived in Eugene.
- We pay about $7,000 a year for his maid service.
- He gets another $26,000 from OUS in housing allowance to pay the mortgage on his own house, in Portland.
- He charges the state $52 a day for his personal food while he’s in Portland.
And his contract will be automatically renewed unless the OUS board acts by 12/31/2011.
The fact that the RG reported that a UO maintenance worker had to come in on his day off to clean it up sort of tells the whole story.
“I swear the guy on the left is Frank Stahl.”
He has motive. He lives within easy walking distance of Pernsteiner’s mansion, so he has opportunity. He’s got a good arm for an 82-year-old, so he has means.
Can he run downhill with undergrads? Maybe not so much.
The Old Man has another take on UO Matter’s irresponsible ID of a marauder as the beloved Frank Stahl. It cannot be Stahl — the lad in the picture is in long trousers and is not holding hands with his girl friend.
The Chancellor can’t just claims that he actually living in Eugene. Its easy to track what address he actually use on regular basis. All people live around that Treetop house know that he is hardly there at all. Even to get witness.
why not the esteemed and ethical Dan Williams, recently retired, for interim president? No baggage, no secret deals in his background. He enjoys the respect of most in higher ed. and would not want the job permanently.