14 Responses to Redacted University of Nike t-shirts and mugs available now!

1. anonymous says:

Nos redacted is totus

From the free online translator…

2. nom says:

You could also go with “We redact, you decide”. Or “Just redact it”, which seems most appropriate for the U of (redacted) — for fear of being truthful.

3. Old Grey Mare says:

Omnia redegimus (doesn’t quite capture the English)
    omnia dissimulavimus (better, but doesn’t sound as good)

4. This is starting to anger me a little bit. I requested my own student record and it has *tons* of redactions. See:

So, someone made a statement that was supposedly about me, it is in my own student record, but then FERPA prevents me from having access to my own student record? My own student record is being kept “private”…from myself?

Sorry, I don’t buy it. This is very fishy and shady stuff. Someone needs to hold the University Administration accountable on these issues.

• Alum says:

Transparency, privacy, or both?

• FIR PAW says:

Hmm,

The primary and original intent of FERPA is to Protect the student

AND
      allow the student to access their educational records and modify if needed!

Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student’s education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies.

You could probably contact the FPCO office. If they deem that is part of your educational record then it should not be redacted.

• No doubt. In terms of the law, there is no “individual remedy” under FERPA. Students and individuals can’t sue the University under FERPA. Rather, the Department of Education can potentially take away Federal funding if they find a violation under FERPA. I can pretty much guarantee that this has never happened to any University. Ever.

So, FERPA is a law without any teeth…the University can violate the law and violate a student’s right to privacy or even deny students access to their own educational records when it is in thee University’s benefit…But, then they can also invoke the same law when they find that it is in their interests to withhold that same information. With, apparently, no consequences.

Whether it is the loss of federal funding (which I think is a doubtful prospect), or a civil lawsuit, *something* needs to be done to stop these abuses.

We need a champion to carry the flag on this one….

5. Alum says:

And all along I thought we were The University of Nike, at Eugene

6. Fishwrapper says:

This has to be the UOMatters post of the week. You should give yourself a coffee mug for setting this one up…

7. Anonymous says:

When I saw the redactions I thought someone discovered a new Rothko painting.

8. Anonymous says:

Funny, but damn that’s an ugly T-shirt.