3/5/2012: That’s the latest from Bill Graves at the Oregonian, buried at end of his gun story. More as we get the docs – and there’s some scandalous stuff here.
The board also voted to extend Pernsteiner’s contract through June 30, 2014, but is still negotiating terms. Pernsteiner, who has not had a pay raise in four years, earns $280,900 a year plus $12,720 in deferred compensation.
Three months ago he fired Lariviere for giving out unauthorized raises. Now he wants a raise too. Graves leaves off a few of Pernsteiner’s other perks and hiring peculiarities:
- He was hired in 2004 by Neil Goldschmidt as an interim appointment, then made permanent after the molestation story broke and everyone was too busy to go through a public search process.
- He does not have a PhD – unique for a university Chancellor.
- He is paid $280,900 in straight salary – while OUS staff get furloughs.
- He gets another $23,320 for “professional development expenses.” He does not document how he spends this, despite state audit rules – he just takes it as a cash salary add-on.
- He gets a free car with all costs paid.
- He gets a $12,720 retirement add-on, to top off his regular PERS account.
- He gets an all expenses paid mansion in Eugene, Treetops, which he uses about 4 nights a month, at a cost to the state of over $50,000 a year. Landscaping is $1300 a month.
- To fight a voter fraud investigation his lawyer claimed he lived in Eugene.
- We pay about $7,000 a year for his maid service.
- He gets another $26,000 from OUS in housing allowance to pay the mortgage on his own house, in Portland.
- He charges the state $52 a day for his personal food while he’s in Portland.
- He gets free eggs, delivered by UO students to Treetops.