Live! I’ll try and add some commentary below, but it’s pretty depressing realizing these are the people who actually control our university, and I’m not sure I’ve got the stomach to watch it all.
Befuddled chairman of the board Chuck Lillis needs a little help with the tubes:
As usual Board Secretary Angela Wilhelms has buried the agenda in a giant PDF deep within the trustees website. Call me slow, but I’m beginning to suspect this may be intentional. Here’s my customary user friendly version. 184 pages of meeting materials here.
Thursday, June 4, 2020, at 9:00 a.m.:
Due to current orders regarding campus operations and social distancing, the meeting will be held via video conference with a telephone conference option available for members of the media and the public.
Subjects of the meeting will include institutional planning and response related to COVID-19, demographics and higher education, revisions to the student conduct code, FY21 expenditure authorizations, a bioengineering graduate degree, recognition of a long-serving employee, a lease of the Romania property, and a report on the institution’s research activities.
Livestream link: Available day of at https://trustees.uoregon.edu/meetings. Public Teleconference Information: (888) 337-0215, Code – 7040421
Public Comment: Individuals wishing to provide public comment to the Board of Trustees may do so in writing via firstname.lastname@example.org. All comments will be shared with members of the board, but to ensure comments are provided to trustees in advance of the meeting, they must be received by 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time on June 3, 2020.
Convene Public Meeting, Call to order and verification of a quorum, Approval of minutes from March 2020 ASAC, FFC, and full Board meetings.
1. COVID-19 Impacts, Response and Planning. Michael Schill, President; Patrick Phillips, Provost and Senior Vice President; André Le Duc, Associate Vice President and Chief Resilience Officer; others.
Schill: usual speech.
Moffitt: Only minor impact on academic budget so far:
But bad news for the auxiliaries: $20M or so. She won’t break out athletics, of course. No mention of the $16M in federal CARES money.
Lots of uncertainty about coming year, of course.
2. Research Report: David Conover, Vice President for Research and Innovation
3. FY21 Expenditure Authorizations (Action): Jamie Moffitt, Vice President for Finance and Administration and CFO
4. Presidential Evaluation Schedule Change (Action): Chuck Lillis, Chair
Meeting Recessed Until 1:00 p.m. PT
5. Higher Education Demand and Demographic Shifts: Nathan Grawe, Professor of Economics and Ada M. Harrison Distinguished Teaching Professor of the Social Sciences at Carleton College
6. Student Conduct Code Revisions (Action): Erik Girvan, Professor of Law and Co-Chair of the Student Conduct and Community Standards Committee
7. Graduate Degree in Bioengineering (Action): Jim Hutchison, Senior Associate Vice President and Lokey-Harrington Chair in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
8. Romania Property Ground Lease (Action): Mike Harwood, Associate Vice President and University Architect
9. Employee Recognition – Dianne Nelson (Action): Michael Schill, President; Jessie Minton, Vice Provost and Chief Information Officer