Comments may be deleted if your h-index is less than 20. Please use a screen name.
- Trustees to lease Romania lot... (4)
- pdxer The net present value of a $535,000 annual ground lease payment increased annually at 2.5% at a 4% cap rate... – Monday
- uomatters We have no Rockefeller (who leased the land for Rock Center from Columbia) but we do have love and vague... – Sunday
- honest Uncle Bernie Are they kidding? It's not even clear that UO -- or most universities -- are going to survive in their... – Sunday
- Dog maybe they can also sell duck cars ... – Sunday
- UO Administrators "Speaking out against... (3)
- Raiseyourhand Try as I might to be patient and of goodwill, Mike Schill's statements always make me vomit a little in... – Sunday
- zach He left out the part about UO ripping down the historic affordable family housing that was located on the site... – Saturday
- Old Man Mike nails it when he writes "Now is the time to raise our voices and send the message that hatred... – Saturday
- Pres Schill's Track & Field... (1)
- Dog further proof that the UO is on the pathway of Academic abandonment. After they finally fire all of us faculty,... – Sunday
- UO joins state Workshare program... (4)
- Anas clypeata Lane Community College's unions have been begging their administration to set up this program as well. It's a win-win, with... – Sunday
- FingersCrossedTillSept1 Because those depts don't 'slow down' over the summer (such as academic depts) and are considered 'essential' by their leadership.... – Friday
- uomatters On what grounds? – Friday
- FingersCrossedTillSept1 FWIW, my contacts in the RO, AO, IS and Johnson Hall all tell me management is discouraging staff from applying – Friday
- Has LCB Dean Sarah Nutter... (12)
- Canard The way things are set up, that may be true. But in a reality-based university, these things could be considered... – Saturday
- CSN This is why I posted the per credit tuition prices below -- income is sort of fixed by central, in... – Thursday
- Canard How come we are always focussed only on costs, and not also on income? – Wednesday
- heraclitus These data also show average and median class sizes, which I suspect correlate closely to "efficiency". Wow, you economists teach... – Wednesday
- CSN @uomatters Sure, but how many administrators (other than the CAS Dean) have economics training? – Wednesday
- Oldtimer I suspect that the drop in undergraduate students from China also contributed. – Tuesday
- The Wolf You gotta pump those numbers up! Those are rookie numbers! – Tuesday
- uomatters "cheapest?" Here in the economics department the tone word is "efficient" – Tuesday
- Update: How to get the... (6)
- Raghuveer Parthasarathy Please note the update, on anonymity! – Friday
- heraclitus The survey assumes that 10 hours per week is the max a student would spend on a course. Interesting. https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs.uoregon.edu/dist/c/13569/files/2016/10/Credit-Hour-and-Student-Workload-Policies-2afl3yr.pdf... – Thursday
- Raghuveer Parthasarathy A lot more work? There's instructions and ready-made questions through TEP's route. I imported the set to Canvas and timed... – Thursday
- uomatters You're still paying for a surveymonkey license? – Thursday
- thedude WHy would I do this instead of surveymonkey? seems like a lot more work to do this? – Thursday
- Dog The biggest thing for me is to try to gain an understanding of whether or not students paid any attention... – Thursday
- Chuck Lillis and Trustees to... (2)
- Former UO VPR Kimberly Espy... (26)
- Board of Trustees to consider... (9)
- Update on School of Languages... (6)
- uomatters This rumor is Fake News! Actually, the proposal is to reorganize all of CAS into six schools, each focused on... – Wednesday
- Publius I have heard they want to abolish the English department too, so students won’t know how to speak/write English either.... – Wednesday
- Dog never said anything about languagues being not relevant I agree that they are – Tuesday
- Observer Languages not relevant to the current world?? What are you smoking, dude? Are we in a situation where there's no... – Tuesday
- Dog As I have said here and else where (indeed in the 2008 Big Ideas thingie), Universities that start t dissolve... – Tuesday
- Jack Straw Man Thanks to UO Matters for posting this. I think the whole university community needs to see this, because it shows... – Tuesday
- UO's draft COVID-19 Resumption Plan (2)
- AnotherClassified Check out the insurgents at Purdue today from IHE: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/04/plans-fall-assume-professors-will-be-willing-teach-will-they I recommend all to speak up -- – Tuesday
- Are you mixing the UO... (16)
- heraclitus OK, I knew something was missing here, finally figured it out. I hereby claim my millions of dollars for this... – Sunday
- Older »
- Trustees to lease Romania lot... (4)
- RT @TedTatos: NCAA coaches could have used their platform to push for economic justice for athletes. Instead, they've been largel… https://t.co/FMVitAFSn9, 21 hours ago
- RT @danbauman77: Why the Fall Will Be a Liability Minefield https://t.co/UdlllVorgK, 21 hours ago
- RT @Bel_Biv_Devos: dunno who made this but they rite https://t.co/gjer1td9O7, May 31
- RT @pebonilla: For leading illegal, racist investigation railroading a completely innocent man, and then lying to and concealing e… https://t.co/x5e1o8l6M1, May 30
- RT @DanWolken: COLUMN: The silence from college coaches as their players take the weight and the pressure of standing up against r… https://t.co/dOSaiMPsdz, May 30
TagsAAUP-AFT Union? Academic Freedom administrative bloat Athletics athletics subsidy Beangrams Dana Altman Dave Frohnmayer: UO President Diversity Faculty pay Faculty Union (United Academics of UO) free speech Jamie Moffitt Jim Bean: UO Provost Jim O'Fallon jock box Lariviere Firing Lorraine Davis March 8-9 rape allegations Melinda Grier Michael Gottfredson NCAA NCAA violations new partnership plan off topic OUS Board and Chancellor Pernsteiner PERS Public Records Public Safety Randy Geller General Counsel Research money Richard Lariviere: UO President Robert Berdahl Rob Mullens Scott Coltrane Senate Sharon Rudnick Tim Gleason Track and Field Championships Uncategorized UO Foundation UO Presidential Archives UO restructuring plan UO Trustees
- Pres Schill’s Track & Field Championship construction boom adds $15M a year to UO costs, UO credit rating goes negative 05/31/2020
- Trustees to lease Romania lot for Duck branded “Flagship UO Hotel”, etc. 05/30/2020
- UO Administrators “Speaking out against hatred, racism, and violence” 05/29/2020
- Update: How to get the Student Experience Survey into Canvas 05/28/2020
- Board of Trustees to consider unwinding Law school 05/28/2020
- Chuck Lillis and Trustees to grill Pres Schill and VPFA Moffitt on admin bloat 05/28/2020
- UO joins state Workshare program 2 months late. 05/26/2020
- Has LCB Dean Sarah Nutter lost control of costs? 05/25/2020
- Update on School of Languages and Global Studies proposal 05/25/2020
- Will Gov Brown cave to big-time college football boosters? 05/23/2020
- Committee formerly known as the Senate IAC to meet today at 3 05/22/2020
- Senate de-names covid financial planning task force over shared governance theater concerns 05/22/2020
- Gov Brown appoints former aide Connie Seeley to watch over Angela Wilhelms & troubled UO Board of Trustees 05/20/2020
- Are you mixing the UO brand’s six tone words correctly? 05/20/2020
- 2-factor activation via DUO comes to UO 05/20/2020
- Rob Mullens is the most overpaid of Pac-12 (public) ADs 05/19/2020
- President Michael Schill has been very, very good to his upper admins. Faculty & staff, not so much. 05/17/2020
- UO’s draft COVID-19 Resumption Plan 05/15/2020
- Paul Weinhold’s Secretive UO Foundation delays IRS reporting yet again 05/15/2020
- Trustees to meet May 26, 29th, & June 5 on budget, bargaining, and COVID-19 05/15/2020
7/29/2013: Busy summer:
7/11 Governance & Policy Committee, Cancelled 7/11 Finance & Administration Committee, Cancelled 7/11 Academic Strategies Committee, Cancelled 7/12 Special Full Board meeting, 8-9a 7/12 Executive Session, 8a-3p 7/19 Full Board Meeting (telephonic), 9:30-11:30a 8/1 Finance & Administration Committee, 1-3p, Cancelled 8/1 Academic Strategies Committee, Cancelled 8/1 Executive Session of the Finance & Administration Committee, 5-6p,Cancelled 8/2 Executive Session, 7a-3p
But what’s that 8/2 executive session about?
7/16/2013: Nigel Jaquiss and Alex Blum have the scoop in WWeek, based on public records requests, including Crew’s official calendar:
Records obtained by WW under the state’s public records law suggest the governor and the Oregon Education Investment Board left Crew unsupervised in his high-profile job. He spent much of his tenure jetting to conferences and private speaking engagements in faraway locales such as Alaska and the Bahamas, often flying first class.
Similar story from Betsy Hammond in the Oregonian, here. Small change compared to what Matt Donegan let Pernsteiner get away with. The croissants were the least of it – he even hit up the students for his mortgage payments, $26K a year. Plus car, maid service, etc. Speaking of Pernsteiner, I wonder what Treetops cost us last year? Lets find out:
From: UO Matters
Subject: Treetops records
Date: July 15, 2013 8:04:33 AM PDT
To: Charles Triplett
Dear Mr. Triplett, this is a public records request for
a) any documents showing expenses for the maintenance or operation of Treetops, including but not limited to landscaping and maid service, from 1/1/2012 to the present, and
b) any documents since 1/1/2013 showing plans for use of Treetops, now that Mr. Pernsteiner has left the building.
6/27/2013: Just 4 days before his eviction from Treetops, former OUS Chancellor Dr. George Pernsteiner has landed a job as president of the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association. No word on whether or not his former chief of staff Bridget Burns will follow him to their offices in Boulder. Who knows what pot of public money funds this non-profit, but they pull in $3.5 million a year, and his predecessor’s take was 300 large. The good news is this means Oregon student tuition won’t have to cover the year of severance Matt Donegan had promised him. Thanks to anon for the tip!
5/23/2013: An anonymous source in the Provost’s office sends this memo about Gottfredson’s investiture ceremony:
Memo: Investiture Contingency Planning
From: Provost Jim Bean
To: President Mike Gottfredson
Mike, I’m starting to worry about faculty turnout for your Knight Arena Investiture Ceremony next Thursday. I’ve warned the department heads that we’ll be taking attendance, but they don’t seem to care anymore, even when I dropped a hint that those 2% merit raises you put on the table might be at risk. It’s a big hall, and we need enough appropriately garbed faculty types in the audience to keep this from turning into another embarrassment for you.
President Lariviere had a huge faculty turnout for his investiture, in no small part because he’d just fired a widely despised General Counsel, and an Athletic Director who was burning through the academic side’s money like, well, like it was the academic side’s money. Something to think about. But if you’re not quite there yet I hope you’ll be happy with the ELT’s plan B:
VPAA Doug Blandy will grant all Duck student-athletes PhD’s and adjunct faculty status. They just need to pass a simple online exam he wrote. The Jock Box advisors say they can help out as usual, since it’s not even proctored. Mullens has cleared this with FAR Jim O’Fallon, who says that adjunct status won’t affect their NCAA eligibility so long as we don’t pay them. As if! (Say, this gives me a great idea for if the faculty go on strike.)
I got a deal on academic regalia from “Parties R Us”. The media will want a few full-professor greybeard types to focus on. I’ve lined up Frog, the guy who sells joke books on 13th – you’ve seen him, looks just like a biology professor. And then there’s the guy who bikes around campus yelling “Go Ducks, but LTD can kiss my sweaty nut-sack.” Turns out you were wrong about him being CAS Dean Scott Coltrane, but no one will know the difference. Best to keep him away from the mic though.
Dave Hubin tells me you’ve signed off on the heartfelt extemporaneous comments that Ann Wiens and the Gallatin Public Affairs consultants wrote. It took me a while to find a professor willing to deliver these. Tublitz is in Italy, and while Harbaugh was plenty interested after I brought up the stipend, it’s hard to hear him when he’s sober. In the end Frank Stahl agreed to do it. I think you’ve met him, very distinguished and his voice carries well.
Oh, one last thing – I’m afraid I won’t be able to make the ceremony. The Caddis fly hatch is peaking, and I’ve got a fishing date with John Moseley over at the lodge in Bend.
Good luck though, really.
5/25/2013: From Laura Gunderson in the Oregonian, promoting Donegan’s political ambitions. She pitches his steely stand against the UO faculty and boosters at the Lariviere firing meeting as a plus. Doesn’t mention the public meetings law violations or the secret bathroom caucus where he rallied the board to stand firm behind Pernsteiner. Does get into some rather personal divorce stuff at the end.
1/28/2013: Pernsteiner’s buy out deal is here, courtesy of OUS Board Secretary Charles Triplett – no fee this time, though it’s going to cost the students plenty:
Word from the recently dedicated Lariviere Smoking Lounge down at the UO faculty club is that the state Audits Division may be looking into how Pernsteiner has been accounting for some of those past “professional development expenses”.
1/27/2013: The OUS board meeting on his golden parachute is 10AM Monday, live-streaming here. But rumor around the faculty club snookers table is that Paul Kelly and Matt Donegan are going to do the deal in the men’s room, as usual. Here’s their last effort. Charles Triplett refused to post the video on the OUS minutes website – but UO put it on youtube:
From Diane Dietz in the RG on the proposed bill. Read it all, if just for the insulting Matt Donegan quotes. 10/5/2012.